Overland travels to Tibet
Besides taking planes and trains to Lhasa, there is another option for tourists - travel to Lhasa by road from such cities as Lijiang, Shangri-la, Deqin, Chengdu, Xining, and Kashigar.
Alert: China/Nepal land border is closed to tourists because the rebuilding construction works after earthquake.
- 17 days adventure travel to Lhasa from Kunming via Chamdo and Sok
- 15 days adventure travel to Tibet from Sichuan
- 15 days travel to Lhasa from Kunming via Basu and Bayi (Yunnan Tibet overland travel)
- 14 days adventure travel to Tibet from Sichuan (Chengdu to Lhasa overland travel)
- 13 days adventure travel to Tibet from Sichuan
- 10 days adventure travel to Tibet from Xining via Golmud
while you are planning a travel to Tibet, something you should know
- you need a packaged tour, either fully packaged or half packaged;
- you need a special paper besides your China visa, that is called Tibet travel permit, issued by Tibet A.R. tourism bureau, it allows you to tour in Lhasa area, like Lhasa city, Namtso lake, Reting monastery, Ganden monastery;
- you need a 2nd paper to travel to Gyangtse, Shigatse, Tsetang, and Mt.Everest area, it is called Aliens travel permit, issued by China armed police;
- you need a 3rd paper if you plan to travel to Mt.Kailash and holy lake Manasarovar, or when you plan to travel Tibet by road from Karshigar, Lijiang or Zhongdian, Chengdu, Golmud or Xining; this paper is issued by China millitary forces;
- you need the 1st paper to get your air tickets or train tickets;
- you can take plane or train going to Lhasa, but, it is impossible to take public transportation going into Tibet.